Apple Cake with Mint
Baking: Serves 4 as a dessert
- 120g sugar
- approx. 1kg apples, slightly tart
- 200g ready rolled puff pastry
- 8 mint leaves
- Grease a 28cm round flame proof pan.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into 1.5cm thick slices.
- Roll out the pastry and cut 28cm diameter of puff pastry, place a baking sheet or piece of baking paper, pierce with a fork and chill.
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly in the pan and place on a medium temperature on the hob, leave to slowly caramelise until light brown, then, remove from the hob and cool slightly.
- Place the apple pieces tightly in the caramel, with the rounded side on the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully place the chilled puff pastry base on top of the apple
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx. 30 – 40 minutes. The puff pastry should be golden brown and cooked.
- Remove from the oven, place the pan on a medium heat on the hob and heat until the sugar is completely liquid - do not heat for too long.
- Once the sugar has completely melted place a board on the top of the pan and flip the pan over onto the board, (be careful - the pan and the sugar are very hot).
- Cut into eight pieces, arrange on plates and sprinkle with mint leaves.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream
Recipe by Rudolf Lehmann