- 220g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 0.5 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 pinch nutmeg ground
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 220g currants
- 220g sultanas
- 220g raisins
- 50g mixed peel
- 30g almonds ground, peeled
- 160g suet chopped
- Half an apple - finely grated
- Half an orange - wash well, remove the zest, squeeze the juice
- 50ml brown ale
- 120g flour
- 0.5 tbsp baking powder added to the flour
- 160g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp brandy - added after cooking
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BRANDY SAUCE
- 40g butter at room temperature
- 40g flour mix butter with flour to make a dough
- 5ml milk
- 60g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp brandy
PREPARING THE CHRISTMAS PUDDING
1. Grease a 2L pudding bowl with butter and line with baking parchment.
2. In a bowl beat the eggs together with the sugar until foamy. It is best to use an electric mixer.
3. Add all ingredients except flour and white breadcrumbs and mix well.
4. Finally, fold in the flour and white breadcrumbs to the mixture.
5. Fill the dough into the bowl, cover with baking paper, then cover the edge with aluminium foil.
6. Tie the aluminium foil to the outside of the bowl with kitchen string. Make a loop/handle with the string so that it's easier to lift the bowl in and out of the pressure cooker.
COOKING THE CHRISTMAS PUDDING IN THE PRESSURE COOKER - IDEALLY 6 LITRE CAPACITY
2. Put the pudding into the Pressure Cooker and cook the pudding on a low heat without the lid for 25 minutes.
3. Then close the lid and cook under pressure on setting 2 for 2 hours.
4. Then switch off the cooking zone and allow the pot to cool down.
5. Open the lid and lift out the bowl with the string.
6. Remove the aluminium foil and baking paper and pour the brandy over the pudding.
MAKING THE BRANDY SAUCE
2. Whisk in the flour and butter mix a little at a time.
4. Finally add the brandy.
Prepare the pudding a few days in advance and keep it cool in the fridge. Before serving re-heat the pudding in the Pressure Cooker under pressure on setting 1 for 1 hour.
Cut the Christmas pudding into slices and serve with the brandy sauce.