Curried parsnip and pear soup
Posted: February 27, 2018
Categories: Pressure Cooker Recipes
Serves 6 as a starter
Cook in a few minutes in a pressure cooker, or simmer on the hob in a saucepan or casserole.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 rashers lean bacon, chopped
- 375g parsnips, chopped
- 2 firm pears, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 level tsp mild curry powder
- ½ level tsp turmeric
- 1½ pints (900ml) chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- sprigs of watercress or chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a 5 litre or larger pressure cooker, add onion and bacon and sauté for 2 minutes. Add parsnips, pears and celery and sauté for 2 minutes more. Add curry powder, turmeric and sauté for one minute. Add the stock and stir well.
- Close the lid and bring the pressure to the 2nd red ring. Adjust the heat to maintain this pressure for 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally - refer to instruction manual.
- Alternatively - cook in a saucepan or casserole, simmer on the hob for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Cool slightly then liquidise or sieve the soup. Season to taste, re-heat and serve garnished with watercress or parsley.