English Pancake Recipe
Pancakes aren't just for Shrove Tuesday. This easy recipe is the perfect base for a savoury or sweet filling year round.
Makes 8 pancakes
- 110gr of flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300ml of milk
- Butter or a light oil
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well, add the beaten eggs and lightly mix.
- Gradually add the milk, make sure it is mixed well.
- Beat the mixture with a spoon, whisk or electric beater until the mixture is smooth and has no lumps.
- Cover and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Wipe oil or melted butter around the inside of a shallow frying pan or crêpe pan. Place the pan on the heat.
- Once the pan is hot pour in a little of the batter, tip the pan so that there is a thin layer of batter over the base of the pan.
- Provided the pan is hot enough the pancake should cook on one side within a minute, turn the pancake over (toss the pan if you dare!) and cook the other side.
Pancakes can be served with savoury fillings of meat or vegetables. They are more typically served sweet with fruit or chocolate. The British tradition is to simply add a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of sugar.